In 2018, Gatecrash organised a tour for Alexander Herer’s band – OXYD and as a part of the tour they
played a concert at the community centre of an NGO based out of Dharavi, Mumbai – Acorn
The centre was packed with kids who had never heard ‘Jazz’ in their lives before, but that didn’t
matter, the kids loved the music, they grooved and danced, lapping up the music as if it wastheir own.
The band also spoke to the kids about rhythm & improvisation, and they were joined by young rappers
& beatboxers from the community & the gig turned into an impromptu Jazz Hip-Hop jam. The kids &
the musicians both went back with massive smiles on their faces and also with a sense that they were
just a part of something special.
Little did she know back then, but this particular gig would turn out to be the inspiration behind
Emmanuelle de Decker (founder of Gatecrash) for kick-starting a project called Music Mulakatein – a
series of free concerts & workshops in collaboration with local and foreign artists as well as Indian
NGO’s to host Music Mulakatein at various locations like slums, old age homes, hospitals etc.
Under this avatar, Music Mulakatein was launched in September 2018 at the After School of Hip-Hop
in collaboration with The Dharavi Dream Project, and since then Gatecrash has hosted 15 such
concerts / workshops in various parts of Mumbai.
The universe has a funny way of working sometime and here we are almost 20 months later where
Gatecrash is hosting Music Mulakatein’s 1st Artistic Residency in collaboration with Alexandre Herer
Nunataq experimental jazz trio from Paris and The Dharavi Dream Project, an afterschoolofhiphop
nurturing, mentoring and empowering under-resourced hip-hop talent from Dharavi.
The residency will delve into Alexandre Herer’s trio’s jazz music and infuse it with rap, slam, and dance.
Through this collaboration the residency aims to establish a common ground for both sets of artists
to work together to learn, un-learn, experiment, deconstruct and create new music resulting in the
vision set out by the artist. The residency will then be followed up by gigs in Mumbai & Pune.
• November 14, 15 & 16 | Residency & Presentation at the After Shool of Hip-hop, Dharavi
• Sunday, November 17 | Pecos, Pune
• Wednesday, November 20 | Tete a Tete at Alliance Francaise de Bombay
• Thursday, November 21 | FLEA Bazaar Café, Mumbai
This residency wouldn’t be possible without the support of our partners – Sacem| French Institute in
India | French Embassy in India | Onze Heures Onze | BUREAU EXPORT | DRAC Ile-de-France |
SPEDIDAM | Copie Privée | Firstpost | Alliance Française de Bombay |
Alexandre Herer Nunataq:
• Alexandre Herer, Keys
• Pierre Mangeard, Drums
• Gael Petrina, Electric Bass
The Dharavi Dream Project:
• Amogh Baini
• Afzal Shaikh
• Anil Methri
• Aryan Pandey
• Akash Shetty
Is a music agency organising concerts and promoting
- 2019.12.04The 7th edition of Vh1 Supersonic promises to be a grand affair; introduces Illenium and Chon to India
- 2019.12.03Inside one of India’s best known music show Coke Studio @MTV
- 2019.12.02The Executive Shuffle- Latest hirings in Gaana, Eros International, Believe Digital India
- 2019.12.02“When other cultures were finding feet, Indian music was a bold expression with plethora of ragas and styles” – Sydney based vocalist Srijani Dan