Reels is an in-built feature on Instagram where the users can create videos for 30 seconds, also trim and/or delete any clip they want. Supposedly, Instagram’s user base increased to 100 million daily average users after it integrated Reels.
In its direct comparison with other UGC- driven short format apps, it is the only international app that allows users to post pictures and videos, Reels, and IGTV (a video sharing service offered by Instagram that can be an hour-long) all in separate timelines.
Parent Company: Facebook
Launch Date in India: 5. August. 2020
Userbase: Not disclosed
Head of Instagram: Adam Mosseri
India Head: Vishal Shah, VP of Product at Instagram
Music Licensing & Agreements: T-Series Music, Zee Music Company, Yash Raj Films, Saregama. Indian Performing Rights Society ( IPRS)
- Let’s create videos up to 30 seconds
- Audio, AR Effects, Countdown, Timer, Alignment, Speed, etc.
- Has a dedicated tab for Reels to help people discover new creators more easily.
- Reels can be recorded in a series of clips (one at a time), all at once, or using video uploads from one’s gallery.
- Save Audio – This will give users the capacity to save sounds in-app, which they can then use in their own Reels clips.
- Share Audio Pages – Users will now be able to share collections of Reels which use a specific piece of audio via DM.
- Audio Browser – Users will be able to search for sounds and music, and the Reels clips that use them
Top Influencers: Creators Komal Pandey, Sakshi Sidhwani (Vibe Check and Breaking fashion stereotypes), Virat Kohli, Katrina Kaif, Nikhil Vijayendra Simha, Chef Kriti Bhoutika, Jaydeep Gohil( who claims to be India’s first underwater dancer), and Surabhi and Samriddhi Mehra aka Chinki Minki.
India was the first market Reels tab was launched due to the interest and creativity seen here.
- Discoverability: Emerging creators like the 22year old, Mumbai based, @TheMermaidScales aka Krutika have seen their account grow exponentially to cross 1M, courtesy of the engagement they’re getting on Reels.
- Reach: Original Audio from people like the 24year old, Aurangabad based, Yashraj Mukhate (‘Rasode Main Kaun Tha’ fame) are seeing incredible mimicry.
Who can you get in touch with? Shweta Dutta
- 2021.02.04Bengali Music Releases from the Second Half of January- Reviewed
- 2021.01.19Warner Music India Strikes an Exclusive Distribution Deal with Sky Digital
- 2021.01.07Interview of the Week- Armaan Malik, Singer-Songwriter
- 2020.12.11Interview of the Week- Bhushan Kumar, Chairman & Managing Director, T-Series