Source: IFPI report
This article provides a detailed picture of how fans around the world are connecting with recorded music. The nature of this engagement continues to grow and evolve, reflecting the hugely rich and exciting opportunities.
- How is music consumed globally?
- 96% of internet users consume licensed music out of which 98% comes under the age group of 18 to 24.
- 45% of consumers engage in licensed audio streaming.
- Methods of music consumption
- 44% purchase physical copies of music or paid downloads. Out of which 32% are CD sales, 28% are downloads and 17% are vinyl sales.
- 45% of consumer use audio streaming service for music. Out of which 39% are free and 27% are paid.
- 75% of consumers use video streaming for music.
- 87% of consumers listen to music on radio. Out of which 68% use broadcast radio and 35% use internet radio.
- Youth consuming music
- 85% of consumers stream audio/video music. Out of which 79% use video and 67% use audio.
- 37% of audio music consumers use paid streaming services whereas 62% use free services.
- 53% of 13-15 year old purchase physical copies or paid music downloads. Out of which 38% of consumers download their music, 37% buy CDs and 19% buy vinyl.
- 33% of consumers pay for their own music streaming subscription.
- 36% of consumers are part of a family subscription plan.
- Video streaming
- 55% of consumers consume music on video streaming services. Out which 46% of consumers consume music on Youtube and 9% on other streaming services.
- Unlicensed music
- 35% of all internet users stream unlicensed music. Out of which 53% of consumers come in the age group of 16-24.
- 54% of consumers downloading unlicensed music also use Google to find unlicensed music.
- Out of the total number of consumers consuming unlicensed music, 40% are male and 30% are female.
- 13 February 20192019.02.13Universal Music Group acquires music distribution company Ingrooves
- 11 February 20192019.02.11Women and People of Colour dominate the 61st annual Grammy Awards
- 07 February 20192019.02.07BMG and SESAC Digital Licensing join forces in India
- 07 February 20192019.02.07HMV UK sold to Sunrise Records, 27 British stores set to close