2017 was single-handedly ruled by Louis Fonsi & Daddy Yanke’s Despacito and Ed Sheeran’s Shape Of You from the album Divide. These two made their names in every list and portal whether it is ‘most searched songs’, ‘most streamed songs’ or ‘most viewed songs’ of the year. This year has been especially big for Spanish and Latin songs with their presence in almost all the charts. As 2017 comes to a close, Music Plus is collating the songs from various platforms which top the charts this year.
Billboard top 10 songs of the year from top 100:
- Selena Gomez, Bad Liar
- Cardi B, Bodak Yellow
- Calvin Harris feat. Frank Ocean & Migos, Slide
- Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee feat. Justin Bieber, Despacito (Remix)
- Lil Uzi Vert, XO TOUR LlIF3
- Kendrick Lamar, HUMBLE
- J Balvin & Willy William feat. Beyonce, Mi Gente (Remix)
- Harry Styles, Sign of the Times
- The Weeknd feat. Daft Punk, I Feel It Coming
- The Man, Feel It Still
YouTube Top 10 Music Videos of 2017:
Despacito conquered the list with more than 4b views on YouTube. This list clearly indicates the popularity of Latin music globally.
- Luis Fonsi Daddy Yankee – Despacito
- Ed Sheeran – Shape of You (Official Video)
- J Balvin, Willy William – Mi Gente (Official Video)
- Maluma – Felices Los 4 (Official Video)
- Bruno Mars – That’s What I Like (Official Video)
- Chris Jeday J. Balvin, Ozuna, Arcángel- Ahora Dice (Official Video)
- El Amante – Nicky Jam (Video Oficial) (Album Fénix)
- Jason Derulo – Swalla (feat. Nicki Minaj & Ty Dolla $ign) (Official Music Video)
- DJ Khaled – I’m the One Justin Bieber, Quavo, Chance the Rapper, Lil Wayne
- Enrique Iglesias – Súbeme la Radio (Official Video) ft. Descemer Bueno, Zion & Lennox
Top five streamed songs on Amazon Music Unlimited:
Sheeran performed strongly on Amazon Music Unlimited though he was beaten by Luis Fonsi’s Despacito as the most streamed song of the year.
- Despacito – Daddy Yankee and Luis Fonsi feat, Justin Bieber
- Shape of You – Ed Sheeran
- Galway Girl – Ed Sheeran
- Something Just Like This – The Chainsmokers & Coldplay
- Rockabye – Clean Bandit feat. Sean Paul & Anne-Marie
Bollywood has had a good year with a whole range of songs creating the right noise and making it to the top charts. Mika Singh’s Hawa Hawa top the charts in Google’s most searched songs list and other hit songs like Mere Rashke Qamar, Kaabil and Raabta follow closely. Surprisingly, Atif Aslam’s Dil Diyan Gallan which released on 2 December also made it to the fourth spot. Talking about international music streamed in India, it’s a no-brainer, Louis Fonsi and Daddy Yanke’s Despacito and Ed Sheeran’s Shape of You make an appearance at No 3 and No 8, respectively amongst the most searched songs of 2017 in the country. Saahore from Baahubali 2 was the most streamed song according to Google.
Google’s list of India’s top 10 most searched songs for the year:
1. Hawa-Hawa (Mika Singh, Mubaarkaan)
Having 68 million views on YouTube, Mika Singh’s number from Mubarakan is 2017’s most searched song on Google. Sung by Prakriti Kakkar and picturized on Arjun Kapoor and Ileana D’Cruz, the track is a masala packed Bollywood number.
2. Mere Rashke Qamar (Raahat Fateh Ali Khan, Baadshaho)
Late Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and nephew Rahat Fateh Ali Khan have weaved pure magic with this Sufi romantic number from Baadshaho. Manoj Muntashir’s deep lyrics are also very well complemented with the tunes of harmonium and mandolin. Mere Rashke Qamar is the second most searched song on Google in India. It has an amazing 113 million views on YouTube.
3. Despacito (Luis Fonsi ft. Daddy Yankee)
Louis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee’s Despacito has taken the world by storm. The third most searched song on Google was also YouTube’s most watched video song of the year with 4 billion views.
4. Dil Diya Gallan (Tiger Zinda Hai)
Tiger Zinda Hai’s Dil Diyan Gallan has been sung by Atif Aslam whose voice has beautifully brought Irshad Kamil’s lyrics to life. Artistic music duo Vishal-Shekhar has composed the song. Despite being released on December 2 this year, it already has 6 million views on YouTube.
5. Raabta (Raabta)
The title track of this Kriti Sanon and Sushant Singh Rajput starrer main selling point is Deepika Padukone. Swaying to the tunes on this Nikhita Gandhi’s number, Deepika looks sensuous and adds a new twist to this romantic track.
6. Ding-Dang (Munna Michael)
Munna Michael’s hit number Ding Dang featured Tiger Shroff and newcomer Nidhhi Agerwal dancing with full-on tapori swag and Tiger pulling the roadside-Romeo moves smoothly as always.
7. Kaabil (Kaabil)
The title track of Hrithik Roshan and Yami Gautam’s Kaabil which is written by Nasir Faraaz and sung by Jubin Nautiyal and Palak Muchhal. It has 46 million views on YouTube.
8. Shape of You (Ed Sheeran)
Ed Sheeran’s record-breaking hit Shape Of You from the album Divide was also the best-performing single on Billboard Hot 100 for 2017. Ed Sheeran’s popularity in India grew after his Road To Mumbai tour which ended up being one of the most popular concerts of the country.
9. Mubarkan (Mubarkan)
Apart from Hawa Hawa which leads the list, Mubarakan’s title track also makes it to the ninth spot in Google’s most searched songs list. Sung by Juggy D, Yash Narvekar, Badshah and Sukriti Kakar, the song feature Arjun in his double role along with Anil Kapoor, Athiya Shetty and Ileana D’Cruz.
10. Mile Ho Tum (Fever)
Originally featuring in Rajeev Khandelwal’s Fever in the voice of Tony Kakkar, Mile Ho Tum was reprised by Neha Kakkar for a female version. The song has an enormous 294 million views on YouTube.
Top 5 most streamed songs of 2017 according to Google play:
Saahore from Bahubali 2 tops the chart of most streamed songs in India. Badshah with his second single stands third whereas remake from Akshay Kumar’s Mohra also enters the list.
1. Saahore (Bahubali 2)
Saahore Baahubali is a Telugu song from the 2017 film Baahubali 2: The Conclusion. Sung by Daler Mehndi, the song is composed by M. M. Keeravani, with lyrics written by his father Siva Shakti Datta and Kodi Ramakrishna.
2. Ek Vaari (Raabta)
The song Ik Vaari Aa is a song sung by Arijit Singh, composed by Pritam and the lyrics have been penned by Amitabh Bhattacharya.
3. Mercy (Badshah)
Indian rapper Badshah was back with his second single Mercy. The song features a famous Bollywood dancer Lauren Gottlieb.
4. Main Tera Boyfriend (Raabta)
Another song from the movie Raabta made it to Google’s list. The film stars Sushant Singh Rajput and Kriti Sanon. The song has been composed by Sohrabuddin and Sourav Roy and written by Kumaar.
5. Cheez Badi (Machine)
The song was featured in the movie Machine directed by duo Abbas and Mustan. It is a remixed version of a popular Akshay Kumar song. The music has been composed by Viju Shah and lyricists are Anand Bakshi and Shabbir Ahmed.
- 13 February 20192019.02.13Universal Music Group acquires music distribution company Ingrooves
- 11 February 20192019.02.11Women and People of Colour dominate the 61st annual Grammy Awards
- 07 February 20192019.02.07BMG and SESAC Digital Licensing join forces in India
- 07 February 20192019.02.07HMV UK sold to Sunrise Records, 27 British stores set to close