A music lover possibly knows about the role of every artist involved in the making of the song. What most people often fail to notice is the role play of a record label. Record labels are the companies that market, distribute recorded music and music videos. They often provide their own recording studio but mostly they come into the picture only after the song is recorded.
In India, record labels perform in two different ways. Music Plus wanted to simplify the purposes and utilities of a record label. Read on.
- For a film, labels get associated with the production house that is producing the film. Whatever happens during the making of the film related to music, they have strong opinions about it.
- For non-film music, labels often work as the guardian angel, backing up the artist who cannot afford to release and market his/her own song.
- Record labels typically set the terms and conditions of artist contracts in their favour. In the case of newly signed artists, record labels can control the type of music they record which can include everything from the way the music sounds to the song lyrics.
- Labels may also control the album cover art.
- Marketing is one of a record label’s most important functions, as public awareness of the brand is the way that they make their money.
Major record labels may also own sub-labels that specialize in publishing, recording and promoting various music genres. T-Series have different sub-labels for different genres like T-Series Bhakti Sagar, T-Series Apna Punjab, T-Series Classics, T-Series
- Entertainment News2018.12.07Latin Music rules the year with 8 entries in the top 10 of YouTube Rewind 2018
- 5 December 20182018.12.05Tencent Music launches $1.2bn US IPO, third largest by a Chinese company this year
- 4 December 20182018.12.04Apple Music releases top charts for 2018, Drake hailed as artist of the year
- Business News2018.12.03Indian music industry to grow by 15.5% by 2023, says KPMG report