With just a day away from the Billboard Music Awards 2018, it’s time to bring to you the nominees, the performers, some interesting facts about the awards and the host. For the first time, The Billboard Music Awards 2018 will air on NBC, broadcasting live from MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on 20 May at 8 p.m., however, the list of nominees was announced on 17 April by Khalid and Bebe Rexha.
Nominees for the Billboard Music Awards are selected based on number of aspects over a 12-month period as tracked by Billboard and its statistics partners. It includes strategic communications with fans, album and digital song sales, radio exposure, streaming, touring and social engagement. The three-hour event will also celebrate 60 years of the Billboard charts. The BBMAs 2018 will be aired on Vh1 on Monday, 21 May from 6.30am onwards in India. The repeat will telecast on Tuesday, 22 May, 10 pm onwards.
Let’s find out who has the best shot
We are not surprised with the top nominees that include Kendrick Lamar, Ed Sheeran and Bruno Mars leading with 15 BBMA nominations individually. Next is Drake as a strong competitor with 9 nominations total and Taylor Swift with 5 nominations total in that field. There is a tie-up between Justin Bieber and Cardi B with 8 nominations; also, Cardi is facing off against 21 Savage, Camila Cabello, Khalid and Kodak Black in the Top New Artists category. Post Malone is nominated for 13 BBMAs in 12 categories, and Imagine Dragons got 11 nominations in 10 categories. Also, the ‘Despacito’ boys Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee have 7 each.
Check out the complete list of nominees for Billboard Music Awards 2018.
Some interesting facts about Billboard Music Awards
- This year celebrates the 60th Anniversary of the Billboard Hot 100 Chart which has been honouring music’s hottest artists since 1958. It is a moment of celebration, and the event is going to be one grand show.
- Host Kelly Clarkson revealed that she has 20 costume changes lined up for the three-hour broadcast. We are expecting a wardrobe change galore this year by the host!
- Kendrick Lamar, Bruno Mars and Ed Sheeran are the top 3 nominees dominating this year’s award show racked up with 15 nominations each. All three men are competing for categories including Top Artists, Top Song Sales, and Top 100 songs among other honours. We are excited to see who bags the most trophies.
- Whether it’s a clan or solo track, Drake has made it 162 times in the Billboard Top 100 list. He is up this year with 9 nominations including Top Artist and Top Album amongst others.
- Taylor Swift holds the title of the Top Winner of all-time with 21 trophies under her belt. This year she is nominated in 5 categories such as Top Artist and Top Selling Album.
- BTS will be performing for the first time at the awards event and will also be the first K-Pop Band ever to perform on the show. The boys are all set to defend their title for Top Social Artist.